Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Chip & Walnut Cookies


I’m not a cookie person. I’ll eat one once in a while, but I just don’t crave those big, sugar and fat laden, chewy cookies.

When I saw this recipe for Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie, I naturally had to try a batch to see what all the fuss was about. I mean with 4 ½ stars over 4000 reviews? Surely, they must be something to write home about.

I was left with the quandry, do I make the whole batch of 18? Any less would have called for a fraction of egg/egg yolk, which to be honest, is a little ridiculous. I’m quite healthy conscious (although the recipes posted on this blog may deem otherwise), but EIGHTEEN cookies is a lot!

I eventually made the full batch of 18 and froze the already portioned out cookie dough. I could then bake them from frozen if and when I wanted fresh cookies. I actually found that baking from frozen got the best results. The cookie didn’t spread as much, which resulted in a thicker cookie.

Although I have adapted the recipe slightly, this recipe is a keeper. The cookies are buttery, chewy and deliciously more-ish!


CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP & WALNUT COOKIES
Makes 18
Adapted from All Recipes - Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie

Ingredients
150 g (1 c) plain (all-purpose) flour
100 g (⅔ c) whole-wheat flour
½ t bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
½ t salt
170 g (¾ c) unsalted butter, at room temperature
220 g (1 c) dark muscuvado (brown) sugar
100 g (½ c)  sugar
1 T vanilla extract
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
165 g (1 c) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate chips
150 g (1 ⅓ c) walnuts, coarsely chopped

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 165°C/325°F. Line a baking tray (pan) with parchment paper.

2. Sift together the flours, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and salt and set aside.

3. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars. Then beat in the vanilla, egg, egg yolk until light and creamy.

4. Mix in the flours until just blended.

5. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts and divide into 18 portions, leaving enough room for the cookies to spread (about 7.5 cm/3 inches in between). You can freeze the cookie portions here, by placing the tray (pan) into the freezer. Once they are frozen, take the cookie dough and place into a bag/container until needed.

6. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on a baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. If baking from frozen, allow up to 20 minutes cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment