Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bean-Free Sun-Dried Tomato "Hummus"


A hummus with no beans I hear you cry. Am I mad? Probably – but I’m not mad for making this no-bean hummus. If you try it, I promise I won’t call you mad – just let me know how much you enjoyed it.

It’s smooth, slightly sweet and garlicky, yet being light and fresh at the same time. I had to stop myself eating the whole batch with carrot sticks when I whipped up this batch! Hmm... I wonder what's going to feature in J's packed lunch tomorrow...

BEAN-FREE SUN-DRIED TOMATO "HUMMUS"
Makes 250 g (almost 1 c)
Inspired by Happy Foody – Sun-dried Tomato Hummus

Ingredients
113 g (¼ lb), or one medium-sized courgette (zucchini), topped and tailed
40 g (⅓ c packed) dry sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated
60 g (¼ c) tahini
1 T lemon juice
1 T olive oil
1 T fresh parsley (can be substituted for dry parsley)
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1-2 T smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Small pinch of chili flakes (optional)

Method
1. Pop the courgette (zucchini), tomatoes, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, paprika into a food processor. Blitz until relatively smooth and well combined, scraping down the bowl when necessary.

2. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chili flakes, blitz again until well combined. Allow to sit for a few hours in the refrigerator to develop the flavors. Serve with pita bread, vegetable sticks, crackers or anything you fancy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment