Thursday, August 26, 2010

Olive Oil Roasted Kabocha Squash


My dearest Butternut,

I’m so sorry… I’ve been bad, very bad. I never meant for our relationship to end in this way, but I now have a new love. His name is Kabocha. Kabocha lives in the squash section of the produce department at PCC. The only reason I picked up Kabocha, was because you weren’t available for dinner that night.

Do not despair Butternut, Kabocha will take good care of me. He’s sweet, full of beta-carotene, iron, vitamin C and potassium and has traces of calcium, folic acid and B vitamins.


Butternut, we’ve had some very good times together – especially the lovely dinner dates we used to keep. May be one day, our paths will meet again. However, as long as Kabocha is available, my love lies with him.

Take care of yourself until we meet again, L. xoxo.

Ok, silliness over…

I’ve eaten Kabocha once or twice before, but have never really found it to be that appealing. That was until I just tossed it in a little oil and roasted it for 30-45 minutes. The result was absolutely deeeelicious. It’s sweet and starchy/starchy tasting and the rind is edible – mmmm. I served mine with toasted sunflower seeds for that extra-smoky crunch – truly a delightful side dish!

OLIVE OIL ROASTED KABOCHA SQUASH
Serves 2-4

Ingredients
900-1350 g (2-3 lb) Kabocha squash, washed, cut in half, de-seeded, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) wedges
2 t extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Toasted sunflower seeds (optional)

Method
1. Line 1-2 baking trays (pans) with parchment or silicone.

2. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.

3. In a large bowl, toss the squash, oil and seasoning until well coated. Spread onto the baking trays (pans) single layered.

4. Roast in the middle of the oven for 30-45 minutes, or until tender, tossing half way through the cooking time. Test the doneness with a sharp knife, when it goes through all the way with no resistance, it’s ready. Serve sprinkled with sunflower seeds if using, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment