Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins - Gluten Free & Vegan



Five years ago, I would never have thought I could walk into a bakery and not buy anything. I love my cakes, muffins and pastries. The only problem is that I’m allergic to American dairy. Eating anything is a little bit of a risk for me. Although I can drool at the cakes, I rarely eat them and when I do, I take a very small bite.

It was time to try another recipe from the Flying Apron’s Gluten-Free and Vegan Baking book. I love this recipe book, but it is RIDDLED with editorial errors. How this book got into print, I have no idea…

The Flying Apron book has given me lots of inspiration to play around with vegan baking, it’s fantastic. This time it was the lemon and poppy seed muffins. I omitted the poppy seeds because I didn't have any at hand. These muffins are quick and easy to make. They are moist, tender and packed full of lemony goodness and also freezer friendly.


LEMON AND POPPY SEED MUFFINS – GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN
Makes 15-16 muffins
Adapted from “Flying Apron’s Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book”, by Jennifer Katzinger

Ingredients
135g (1 ½ c) brown rice flour
120g (¾ c) chick pea flour
Pinch of salt
60 ml (4 tablespoons) oil
60 ml (4 tablespoons) apple sauce
240ml (1 c) water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
240 ml (1 c) maple syrup
2 lemons, zest finely grated*
40 g (⅓ c) poppy seeds (optional)
1 ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)

* You can also use 1/2 t pure lemon oil

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.

2. In the jug of a liquidizer, blend together the brown rice flour, chick pea flour, salt, oil, apple sauce, water, lemon juice, vanilla extract, maple syrup, lemon oil and poppy seeds until evenly combined.

3. Add the bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), blitz for a few seconds, then divide equally into greased or case lined muffin tins (pans).

4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the tin (pan) halfway through cooking to ensure even baking. The muffins are done when they are golden and firm to the touch or a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before devouring, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment