Thursday, September 9, 2010

Vegetable Curry Patties


I’ve been craving those yellow tinged Jamaican curry patties for so long! The last time I had one, was probably in 2004, when I was still living in London. The turmeric spiced, soft, yet short pastry, encased a delicious, curried minced (ground) lamb filling. I can taste them now.

The thought of curry patties had subsided until this February. This was when J had some vegetable curry patties whilst up in Vancouver B.C. They’ve been playing on my mind ever since!!!!

I decided to take a recipe and veganize it. I thought I’d finally use that tub of Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread I bought when I got my first vegan baking book (but never got around to using it). I noticed it had soy lecithin in, something I choose to avoid. But if you know me, I hate to waste food. So, just this once, I used it and ate it. I have included non-vegan alternatives in the recipe below.

The resulting curry patties are moreish!! The pastry is short, flaky and delicious. On biting into one, you are greeted with a scrummy cumin and chilli spiced vegetable filling.

VEGETABLE CURRY PATTIES
Makes 3
Adapted from “Caribbean Food Made Easy with Levi Roots”

Ingredients
For the pastry
225 g (1 ½ c) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 ½ t turmeric
Pinch of salt
115 g (½ c) cold vegan buttery spread (or butter), cut into cubes
4-5 T cold water
Milk substitute (or egg, lightly beaten), for the glaze

For the filling
½ t groundnut (peanut) oil
2 spring onions, finely sliced
150 g (5 ¼ oz) winter squash*, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes
1 small carrot, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes
¼ pepper, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes
50 g (2 oz) frozen sweet corn
1 T water
2 T roughly chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
1-2 t cumin or to taste
Pinch of crushed chillies (chili flakes) or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

* I’d recommend butternut squash for this recipe. I had leftover kabocha, so I used this.

Method
1. Make the pastry by stirring the flour, turmeric and salt together in a large bowl. Rub in the vegan spread (or butter), until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 4-5 tablespoons of water to the mixture, until you get a smooth dough. Cover with cling film (plastic wrap) and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

2. Make the filling by heating the oil in a medium sized frying pan. Add the spring onions, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the winter squash and stir for 1-2 minutes, then add carrots, peppers, sweet corn and water. Stir and cover for about 5 minutes or until the winter squash is tender.

3. Season the vegetables with coriander (cilantro) cumin, crushed chillies (chili flakes) and salt and pepper. Pour onto a plate and allow to cool.

4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.

5. Divide the pastry into 3 equal parts. Roll each one into a 15 cm (6 inch) circle, place 1/3 of the filling onto one side of the circle, leaving 2 cm (¾ inch) free around the edge. Brush with milk substitute (or egg) and fold the pastry over. Using the prongs of a fork, seal the patty. Set the patties onto a parchment-line baking tray (cookie sheet) and brush all over with the milk substitute (or egg).

6. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the patties are golden. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment