Saturday, September 4, 2010

Raw Pumpkin Seed Butter


I’m pretty new to nut and seed butters available in the US. Until a couple of years ago, I’d only tried peanut butter – the others simply weren’t available in the UK.

I’ve now made my own peanut, cashew, almond and coconut butter. I wanted to sample sunbutter (from sunflower seeds) and cheated, by buying it from PCC at $6.99 for an organic jar. It just reminds me not to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach! When I do, I can easily add $40 onto my bill! Anyhow, when I got home, I ripped the jar open and stuck a spoon in it, to try it. I didn’t know what to expect, I mean we both love sunflower seeds, how can grinding them into a paste make them taste any different? Well, the grinding does make them taste different. The stuff is truly addictive, I couldn’t stop spooning the deliciousness out of the jar and into my mouth (with a clean spoon each time, of course!)

Next on my hit-list was pumpkin seed butter. There was no way I was going to fork out $11+ for a jar, so I bought some organic pumpkin seeds and decided to grind them in my food processor.

I really didn’t expect this project to take so long! There I was, standing with my food processor for about 15 minutes. Not much happened, the seeds got coarsely ground, but that was about it. At 30 minutes, it was starting to come together, but it looked more like plasticine (play-doh) than a spread. I continued… for another 10 minutes. That was a total of 40 minutes! I got fed up and added 1 teaspoon of peanut oil. It barely made a difference, it still had the consistency of plasticine, albeit a little more pliable plasticine, but nonetheless, still plasticine. I wasn’t going to add any more oil.

The resulting plasticine-(play-doh)-paste-like-green-stuff was actually, really, really good. Even P. loved it! I couldn't stop eating it out out of the jar. If you like pumpkin seeds, you’re going to love this butter, that is, if you have the patience to make it. Alternatively, you could just buy it!

I may, repeat, may, make it again. But now I know the resulting consistency, I won't be standing over it for 45+ minutes.
I’d recommend you make at least double the amount, when making the following recipe.

RAW PUMPKIN SEED BUTTER
Makes around 240 g (¾ c)

Ingredients
240 g (1 c) raw pumpkin seeds
1-2 t peanut oil
A lot of patience (you will be rewarded)

Method
1. Process the pumpkin seeds in a food processor for about 15-30 minutes, scraping down the bowl if and when needed. Transfer to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator. Serve on whatever you wish or eat straight out of the jar. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment